Got a stinky, nasty toilet? I’ll show you how to clean it with homemade toilet cleaning bombs. Think of them like a bath bomb for your toilet. These fizzy balls foam up when they hit the water and make your bowl fresh and clean. Read on to learn how to make them yourself, you can even get your kids involved with this fun diy cleaning recipe.
- 1 cup baking soda
- 1/2 cup citric acid
- 1/2 cup of washing soda
- 1 teaspoon water
- 15-20 drops of essential oil. I used lemon but you can use whatever scent you like best.
- In a mixing bowl, combine the baking soda and citric acid. Stir well to combine.
- Spray small amounts of water into the mixture into the dry baking soda-citric acid mixture, while whisking constantly. The mixture will fizz and bubble, which is normal. Add as little water as possible, ensuring the mixture does not get too wet.
- If using, add the essential oil drops to the mixture and whisk again to evenly distribute the scent.
- The mixture should hold together when squeezed, but not be too wet. If it’s too dry, you can add a little more water, a few sprays at a time, until you get a moldable consistency.
- Using a silicone mold (I used a heart shaped silicone ice cube tray from IKEA), press the mixture into the molds. Push firmly to really pack it in.
- Let dry for about 24 hours and then gently pop them out of the mold.
- Once dry, store the fizz bombs in an airtight container or jar.
- Drop one fizz bomb into the toilet bowl.
- Let it fizz and dissolve for a few minutes.
- Use a toilet brush to scrub the toilet bowl, paying extra attention to stains and areas under the rim.
- Flush the toilet to rinse away the residue.
- Enjoy a fresh and clean toilet!
Yes. The ingredients will not harm your septic system.
If you don’t have citric acid you can use buttermilk powder or cream of tartar.
If stored in an airtight container they will last 3-4 months
They are safe to handle and don’t contain bleach. The toilet cleaning bombs won’t give off harmful fumes. That said, make sure your dogs or other animals don’t drink out of the bowl as the washing soda and other ingredients should never be ingested.